Friday, February 18, 2011

Option #1/ Literary Analysis of WWI

June 28, 1914 Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria-Hungary is assassinated by Gavrilo Princip in Serbia.
Gavrilo Princip is a radical from Serbia and at the time Serbia was under the control of Austria-Hungary. So he thought it would be a good idea so he assassinated Franz Ferdinand while he visited Serbia.
http://www.historyonthenet.com/WW1/assassination.htm

It is a lonely life,
    this soldier's life,
      these bloody deeds and far away eyes.
I miss the clouds
and the sun and the stars,
      my eyes are full of tear gas like the skies.
I write these letters in the trenches
with a shaking hand
      as the grenades fall from above.
My soul blows away,
the bullets fall,
      I dream, but what's a dream of?
A bomb falls,
my friends cry,
      cry their eyes down their cheeks.
We've been here in the trenches
  with death, rats, mud,
      a stalemate for months or weeks?
All I know
is what I know
      and that's that this war is hell.
http://www.booksie.com/poetry/poetry/srdarling/cordial-thanks-to-the-late-archduke-franz-ferdinand

This poem is a explaination of the aftermath of Franz Ferdiand’s assassination. The poem is a piece that explains how it is to be in war after just one assassination was made upon an Archduke and it send multiple countries into battle that they are brought into.

No comments:

Post a Comment